Helmet cover (Überzug).
The first helmet covers introduced in 1884 were white and used during manoeuvres. Later in 1892 a new type of covers was introduced. Unlike the previous models the new covers were green (schilfgrün) and their purpose was camouflage. Some of the pickelhaube covers had a red band which ran around the cover. Those bands were used in manoeuvres before 1914.
Pre-war helmet covers very often had a regiment number on the front. During the war the red colour was replaced by green. In 1916 for security reasons the front regiment numbers were replaced or hidden.
The cover was attached to the helmet with five hooks. The upper part, which covers the spike of the pickelhaube was reinforced with leather.